Adpressive intro video (co-created by Ryan Charleston and Taylor Shumway from MasterCapture.com)
Adpressive.com was a startup business I concieved of in September 2012 and launched in January 2013. The idea was a result of casual conversation during coffee breaks with co-workers at eBay Enterprise. There was this idea that “nobody likes ads”, especially online, and that most people wish they would all go away. I countered that claim with the hypothesis that most people don’t mind relevant ads or highly creative, artistic, funny, or otherwise interesting ads. I then came up with the name Adpressive by combining the words ads and impressive, because I thought impressive ads were “adpressive”!
Adpressive redefines impressive advertising in the eyes of the consumer by connecting people with the world’s most impressive ads, creative displays of advertising, and marketing genius.
When an advertisement gets your attention through exceptional creativity, humor, shocking, provocative or controversial content, it’s not just impressive, it’s Adpressive! Often, most people ignore or attempt to bypass ads, but the ads on Adpressive are ads you don’t want to miss! Great displays of commercial art are displayed throughout modern culture and consumer society as the “advertainment” phenomenon grows roots in an increasingly digital, social, and mobile world.
Adpressive plays a critical role in this trend and serves as a trusted source for advertising entertainment and insights. Adpressive takes pride in not only finding and showcasing the best ads, but allowing its members to freely submit ads into the community, save favorites, share across networks, create groups, and engage in interesting conversations related to the ads they like.
This was an interesting and fun business to build, but it did consume ALL of my free time outside of my day job at eBay (partly because I did not have it structured to scale yet… it was my MVP afterall). I was also bootstrapping the business 100% and doing most of the work myself.
In this business my responsibilities included but were not limited to the following:
- Executed successful social media contest/sweepstakes using Wildfireapp (now a part of Google) during the 2013 Super Bowl. Resulted in over 2,000 entries and a 50% increase in site traffic.
- Surpassed 1 million views on YouTube channel within 2 months of website launch. The channel has almost 5 million views as of February 2016.
- Successfully sold business for a profit in December 2013.
- Developed business plan, marketing plan, financial plan, and go-to-market strategy.
- Setup and maintained business entity (LLC).
- Designed and developed WordPress website, and handled all writing, copy editing, UI/UX and graphic design.
- Managed outsourcing partners and vendors around the world.
- Established and designed all branding elements and marketing materials including the name, logo, company slogan.
In March of 2013 various forces pulled me away from Adpressive to focus on Bitcorati, a bitcoin business idea I had come up with around the same time as Adpressive, but chose to put on hold.
Below are a few screenshots of Adpressive as I design it and as it existed in early 2013.
Here are the Adpressive logos I designed.